A grease gun is a common workshop and/or garage tool used for proper lubrication. There are commonly five types of grease guns, namely: lever, cordless, pistol grip, hand pumps, and air powered. To get a better understanding, here’s a run-down of each kind.
- Lever – The most popular type of grease gun is the lever-operated kind. It’s widely available and convenient to use on a wide range of projects. Just by simply pulling the lever, enough pressure will be created to force the grease from the gun so it can be applied to the relevant areas. The nozzle will need to be positioned and fastened into the correct place before it is operated, so two hands are required when using this type.
- Cordless – Battery powered grease guns are great when cords get in the way. A cordless grease gun is easier to use since the power source will provide the energy needed to dispense the grease, rather manual exertion.
- Pistol Grip – These grease guns are operated by way of a pistol grip that will enable you to use the gun with only one hand. This can make the tool easier to handle and allow you to continue working even in awkward situations. They are available with grip handles of different sizes so that you can find one that is comfortable to hold and operate. The grease is dispensed as and when necessary by applying pressure to the trigger, making it easy to complete the job cleanly by positioning the grease gun correctly.
- Hand Pump — This type of grease guns involve operating a pump on the top of the gun to release the grease, and they are not the easiest type to use. Air powered grease guns are mainly used on larger commercial projects due to the force with which the grease is dispensed.
In this review, we’ll take a closer look at the top 3 grease guns on the market to help you determine which one should invest in.
Dewalt DCGG570B Cordless Grease Gun
The Dewalt DCGG570B Cordless Grease Gun is a top choice that’s been a favorite among many. It’s motor packs a powerful punch that delivers up to 9000 maximum PSI, packing enough power to force through grease fittings that are clogged. This grease gun has a handy carrying strap for portability, and it’s a bare-tool item that requires a battery, which is sold separately.
- Voltage: 18V
- Maximum pressure: 10,000 psi
- Max volume: 5.0oz/min
- Hose length: 42
- Cartridge Capacity: 14.5 oz.
- LED light: Yes
- Bulk capacity: 16 oz.
- Tool weight: 8.0 pounds
- Shoulder strap: Yes
- The warranty package includes: 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service contract and a 90 day money back guarantee
- The high-powered pump forces up to 5.0 oz. per minute high-flow applications.
- The speed trigger is variable to allow extra precision in controlling the grease flow.
- 42 inches flexible and extra-long hose designed for reaching hard to access grease fittings.
- The Bright LED light helps in locating inaccessible grease fittings.
- The anti-debris filter is designed to properly prevent the pump mechanism from being clogged with contamination and dirt.
- The foot design has an integrated no-mar feature that allows operators place the Dewalt DCGG570B on top of flat surfaces.
- The air-bleeder valve helps in pump priming after changing the cartridges.
Lincoln Lubricant 1133 2-Way Loading Lever-Action Grease Gun
The Lincoln Lubricant 1133 is a 2-way lever-action grease gun that features an 18” whip hose and coupler. It’s specifically designed with long lasting strength and durability in mind. It’s unlike other models since it has a unique ‘flip over’ follower that makes for a perfect seal every time. It’s integrated with a heavy duty follower spring that gives users the ability to prime and pump grease without interruption. It’s known as one of the fastest, most efficient one hand operated grease guns currently available.
- Lube Capacity: 16 ounce bulk/ 14.5 ounce cartridge
- Extension: 18″ flex hose and coupler
- Length: 15.5″
- Output: 1 ounce per 33 strokes
- Barrel diameter: 2.25″
- Weighs 3.4 pounds
- The pump head is rugged cast for added durability and strength.
- Its toggle mechanism is jam-proof to prevent accidental bending of the plunger.
- The extra-heavy follower spring ensures uninterrupted pumping action and positive priming. It gives you the ability to tackle industrial grade jobs with a huge deal of reliability.
- The Lincoln Lubricant 1133 has an exclusive “Flip-Over” follower that allows maximum seal for bulk loading or cartridge applications. It is impervious to lubricants, durable, and tough.
- The check valve is accessible, allowing easier cleaning without the need for gun dis-assembly.
- The plunger fits precisely and hardened to prevent lubricant bypass, and resist scoring for longer life that last many years longer than most.
- The follower rod fits right into the follower to properly force priming.
Lumax LX-1152 Black Heavy Duty Deluxe Pistol Grease Gun
The Lumax LX-1152 Pistol Grease Gun features a handy 3-way loading system by using a cartridge, a grease pump, or suction. It’s equipped with an air bleeder valve where air can escape, giving it a great design for those who have experienced using a low quality grease gun before. The heavy 18-inch gauge barrel is made of a high-grade steel that reinforces durability for long lasting quality. Additionally, it’s also equipped with a follower rod lock that eliminates the possibility of accidental discharge. This grease gun also offers the convenience of one-handed operation with easy greasing.
- Develops up to 7000 PSI (480 bar).
- Output: 4oz. (115g) of grease per 100 strokes.
- Heavy gauge steel barrel (18g/ 1.3mm) polished inside for smoother operation.
- The filler nipple is equipped with a ball check to be used with the grease filler pump.
- Complete with 18” flex hose and 4 extra-tough hydraulic-powered coupler jaws with a ball check and a non-drip cap.
- Comes with 18” flex hose extension for hard-to-reach fittings.
- Heavy-duty LuCast TM, Cast-Alloy head with heavier and reinforced wall thickness for extra strength.
- The handle finish is chrome-plated to protect the tool from corrosion.
- High quality, contoured and oil resistant grip for a firmer and more comfortable grip.
- The follower spring is heavy duty for consistent priming.
- The knurling is non-slip and has a wider band for sure-grip handling.
- The follower is tough to eliminate grease bypass and offer superior seal.
- The ergonomically designed T-handle for the posi-lock follower rod allows for a more comfortable and firmer grip when filling no matter what position the operator is in.
- It is advisable not to hold the whip hose when using the grease gun and to replace a broken whip hose with a 310 bar/ 4500 psi rated hose only.
Although finding a high quality grease gun isn’t always as easy as it may seem, we’ve narrowed down the top 3 that are worth considering in 2017. Each of these grease guns have been proven effective and high quality by a wide array of consumer reviews based on each specific model. Which one will you decide to go with?